Saturday, September 15, 2007

Norton's Surplus





It's been really busy at work lately; long hours, skipped lunches, etc. I skipped lunch again yesterday, but instead of working through lunch James and I drove over to Norton's Surplus in North Hollywood to look around. Nothing has changed much since the last time I was there. The outside area had been cleaned up quite a bit though, which allowed me to get a picture of a large cylindrical motor that was nearly buried under debris last time. Four or five years ago on my first visit there I noticed a 318mm rocket motor with its nozzle pointed up in the air. It had a bunch of hoses piled in front of it. I was able to climb on top of the pile and snap a few close-up pictures. I'm not sure what it's from, but a quick Google search turned up this photo of a Little John rocket on display at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum that looks very similar. I got the photo from this blog. I took a photo of the inside of the casing . In that photo you can see four "rods" that run the length of the casing. I'm not sure what they were for, maybe they supported the propellant grain or maybe they are resonance rods like those pictured in this diagram of what I believe is a Nike Ajax motor. The nozzle appears to be all steel construction with no throat insert. The entire nozzle is badly rusted, but the throat doesn't seem to have suffered any asymmetrical erosion.

No comments: