Monday, May 21, 2007

Unusual Rockets






I regularly search on eBay for unusual rocket hardware. I found this intriguing auction a while back. I didn't turn up much info about this particular small sounding rocket. A quick Google search did turn up this info though...


"Another approach has been developed by Texaco Experiment Incorporated. Their rocket, named Cricket, uses a cold propellant to boost the rocket to an altitude of 3,000 feet. At peak altitude a parachute is deployed which allows the whole unit to descend intact. The propellant is acetone and dissolved CO 2. A 0.5-pound payload can be carried and the rocket is reusable at least 10 times. The launch system is simple and can be safely operated by untrained personnel. With additional altitude and payload capabilities, this system might well be adapted to the problem at hand."

NASA TECHNICAL NOTE
D-1277
STUDIES IN FAR-FIELD ACOUSTIE_PROPAGATION

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's an interesting piece of hardware ! Do you know when it dates from ? If you have more pictures of its internal components (tank , valves) don't hesitate to post them.

Randy Dormans said...

I wish I could post more detailed photos, but I missed the end of the auction and it went to another bidder. (For not much money as I recall)

Roy said...

Back at NARAM-13 (1971) someone entered a Cricket in the Scale event. I think it used a FSI E5. It didn't fly too well, got up to about 20 feet then flopped around on the ground for the rest of the burn!

Unknown said...

I recently acquired the parachu5e for one of these rockets in it's original container. Both are marked Texaco experiments Incorporated Cricket.

Unknown said...

If you want to see some pics you can email me antiqueantics908@gmail.com