Wednesday, May 30, 2012

SStS Machining

I'm currently trying to finish up a test set-up for the SStS project that will allow us to test a single grain segment with the star core that we've used for the last two motor firings.  It's simply a short section of the casing material with two end closures, one made of Aluminum and the other of steel.   Looks roughly like this:
I used the new center drill indexing the steel bulkhead and the difference was immediately noticeable.  Don't use dull tools kids!  Anyway, after realizing what a difference it made I decided that i needed to stock up on the # 1 size center drills. I managed to find a set of four # 1 center drills on Ebay.  I paid about what I did for the set from Harbor Freight, so a great deal!

Here is a shot that shows the bulkhead after I indexed it.  You can see the Dremel set-up in the tool holder and the indexing holes on the main gear of the lathe.  You can also see the indexing pin in the casting between the back of the chuck and the gear.

Here are a couple of shots showing the machining progression on this piece.  This is the first time in a while that I've done something this larger using 1018 steel and it's definitely slower that using 12L14 steel. 

No comments: