Sunday, May 26, 2013



I finished all  of the lathe operations for the nozzle ring.  When I took it off the lathe I was struck by how heavy it was.   It doesn't really matter for a static test, but I decided to go back in and remove a bit of the excess material.  The amount of material that was removed (drawing above) reduced the parts weight by nearly 30%.  It will also make it easier to drill and tap the twelve screw hole locations as they are no longer blind holes.  There are still a few areas I can pare down but I'll hold off for now.
I'm going to take a quick break from the TR-1 motor and work on the SStS TM-3 motor casing which seems to be coming together quite quickly.  This is a pretty large O or P-class motor which is about as big a "Sugar" motor as I've ever heard of.  It shouldn't take me long to finish work on the casing and then I'll get back to work on the TR-1 motor.

No comments: